Thursday, November 7, 2013

Nov 8 School Board

One of the best things about my job at the School Board is watching as that vigorous glimmer in a young students eye is dimmed for the first time. Actually, dimmed is great but if I’m being honest, what’s best is when that inner light is snuffed completely. Watching a young person realize that the sky is not, in fact, the limit, that all their dreams will not come true, when you know that you’ve broken them completely. That, to me, is magical. It’s why I still love this job after 25 years.
            Sadly, I don’t get to see that look very often, since I’m so frequently stuck back at the office. Pushing paper while other folks get to give out the bad news and have all the fun. Once in a while some angry parent will come by my office to fight for a music program or funding for an art department, and sure, pretending to listen to them rant and rail is a kick, but it’s still not as wonderful as really just shattering a child, knowing that you’ve left them no options other than to conform or fade away.
            This one parent, a single mother, was in my office recently all upset because the School Board decided that there would be no money for the High School to perform a musical this semester. You should have heard her! “You people expect every student to be the same, that you can fit everyone into the same box the same way and expect them to come out all right! But they won’t come out all right! These children need to express themselves” and all this.
It was a hoot. But you know, at least this one mom got it. So many times I’ll be talking to someone and they’ll take this tone like they’re trying to give us down at the School Board the benefit of the doubt, like we’re really doing our best with limited resources to navigate the terrain between federal regulations and individual needs and the needs of the faculty and blah blah blah. Trust me, that is not what’s happening. You’d be blown away if I told you how much money we get for after school tutoring and arts programs, for new musical instruments, all that garbage. The hardest part of my job is figuring out how to get rid of all the money so no one notices! I won’t give away all my secrets but I’ll share one particular success…a couple of semesters back we needed some new bunsen burners for the chemistry department at the High School, and after doing some research I realized that if we ordered them from the Ukraine we’d have to pay exorbitant shipping fees AND they’d barely work. Wasted a lot of money that way, and picked up a commendation from the Superintendent of Schools to boot.
Have you ever seen this movie Repo Men? Early Estevez, look it up. There’s a scene in the movie where Estevez’s character is at a grocery store, and every item in the store comes in the same bland, generic blue and white packaging. It’s absolutely spellbinding, absolutely beautiful. That’s the world I work for every day, a world where inspiration has been dulled down to fulfill necessity alone, where you don’t have to worry about what soda to buy, you just buy the soda there is. And then you go home and watch TV.

And unlike these students, with their paltry dreams of superstardom or whatever, mine is a dream that will come true.

No comments:

Post a Comment