Saturday, November 23, 2013

Nov. 23 Deleted Scene From A Christmas Carol



(Open Christmas Morning, inside a Butcher Shop. An urchin child sits on a wooden stool, Constable and Butcher looming over him)

Constable
All right, lets go over this one more time, kid.


Urchin
I ain’t lying, sir, I swear!


Butcher
Shut your yap, you!

Constable
All right, kid. What you’re saying is that you was walking down the street, minding your own business…

Butcher
On Christmas morning, no less…

Constable
And that as you was walking along, old Ebenezer Scrooge…

Butcher
The meanest man in town…

Constable
Leans his head out the window and calls you over…

Butcher
Known to despise both children and the poor, and poor children specifically…

Constable
Tosses you money…

Butcher
Ever better known, famous, even, as a cheapskate and a miser…

Constable
…and asks you to come in here and buy a Christmas Goose.

Butcher
…The biggest Christmas Goose I’ve got.

Constable
Is that accurate, kid?


Urchin
Yes! That’s what happened, just like I said!

Constable
Kid, where’d you get the money?

Urchin
I ain’t no thief! I’s an honest man, I am!

Butcher
Oh! Oh! No one said thief, now did they? Interesting where the guilty mind goes, isn’t it?

Urchin
You did call me a thief, you yelled it!

Butcher
Yeah? And if I asked how you knew what the word thief meant, what then?

Constable
Yeah, maybe just let me handle this, Charlie. All right. I’m going to go fetch out Mr. Scrooge, then, and we’ll see what he has to say about all this. Last chance, kid, if you want to tell the truth.

Urchin
I ain’t never lied a day in my life, sir.

Constable
So be it. Charlie, keep an eye on him, then.

(Constable leaves. Butcher and Urchin are alone.)

Urchin
Why are you here, might I ask, Christmas morning? Shouldn’t you be at home with your family, upstanding business man and all?

Butcher
My wife is taking the holiday in Spain with her lover.

Urchin
No other family, then?

Butcher
Her lover is my brother. They send me postcards, for my collection. So no hard feelings, really

(Constable returns, Scrooge in tow. Scrooge is wearing his bed clothes,  still in the throes of his joyous epiphany)

Butcher
Ah, here now. Welcome, Mr. Scrooge.

Scrooge
A very good day to you, my good sir. And aha! Look here, a boy! The very same charming boy I sent about a very important errand this morning, I believe.

Constable
Boy’s story checks out, Charlie.

Urchin
Aha!

Butcher
What?

Scrooge
Yes, yes. I sent this boy to you, my good man, to purchase a goose that I might gift unto my employee and his family.

Urchin
Whoa, hold on a second.

Scrooge
Yes, dear child?

Urchin
What’s this ‘gift unto’ business?

Scrooge
Yes, I plan to deliver this goose to my employee…

Urchin
So you sent me to buy a goose for someone else?

Scrooge
Yes, for dear Bob, you see…

Urchin
You saw a boy walking alone in the snow on Christmas morning and sent him to retrieve some food you plan on giving someone else?

Constable
Hm. That’s cold.


Scrooge
Well, you didn’t…why, you didn’t think the goose was for you, then…

Urchin
Uh, yeah. I completely did. Why wouldn’t I? I’m a poor orphan child on Christmas, so yes, I guess I did get my hopes up that when some rich guy asked me to fetch some food, that there might be something in it for me. How silly. How completely silly. You son of a bitch.

Butcher
Watch the language, there…

Constable
I think we can let that slide, Charlie.

Scrooge
I suppose I could have been clearer in my instructions…I can explain everything, it’s all very simple...

Urchin
Oh shit, I can’t wait to hear this. C’mon, Scrooge. Let’s hear it.


Scrooge
You see, last night I was visited by three ghosts, and…

Constable
Visited by ghosts?

Scrooge
Yes, yes! They were quite frightening at first, but you see they led me on a journey across space and time, and…

Butcher
Kid, go on down and fetch the doctor, will you?

Constable
Mr. Scrooge, why don’t you have a seat?

Scrooge
Oh, I’m much too excited for sitting! Why, I rather feel like dancing.

Constable
Go on now, kid. Tell the doctor to come quick.

Urchin
Not for free I won’t. Way I see it, I’m out a Christmas goose already this morning.

Constable
Give the kid his goose, Charlie

Butcher
I think I will. And perhaps I’ll put it on ol’ Scrooge’s tab, as well.

Urchin

In that case, I’ll have some sausages, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment