Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Nov 6. Voice

I have this suspicion that I might be the voice of my generation. This is not good news.
            It started when I was live tweeting The Walking Dead the other night. It’s something a lot of people do, at least a lot of the people I follow on Twitter. You just tweet your reactions to the show. So about halfway through the episode there was this scene where one of the main characters had gotten their shoulder popped out of joint and another character was straining to pop it back in, and I tweeted, “Healthcare.Gov is still down, eh?”
            Lame, I know. Doesn’t really mean anything. This comment was re-tweeted 76 times. 76 people thought that was worth sharing with the world. I couldn’t believe it. I was aghast, in fact.
            So, the next day I tried a little experiment, only this time on Facebook. I posted a comment that said, ‘Ken Cuccinelli looks like the evil rat in Ratatouille that kidnaps Remy and tries to stop him from achieving his dreams.” Within four hours, this comment had 156 ‘Likes’ and 21 comments, most of which said something like, ‘Ha’ or ‘I never noticed that, but that’s so true!’
            Here’s the thing. There is no evil rat in Ratatouille that kidnaps Remy. I made that up. I don’t think Ken Cuccinelli looks even remotely like a rat. Not only is that comment vapid and mean, it’s completely made-up. But good lord did it get attention.
            I don’t even follow politics! All I know about Ken Cuccinelli is that he is a Republican. That is it.
            I know what you’re thinking, that just because people respond well to the dumb stuff I say in social media, that doesn’t mean I’m the voice of my generation. That I’m making a bit of a jump. How about this, then—I was at Starbucks last night, and when I ordered an espresso the guy at the counter asked me if I wanted a single or a double I slapped the counter and said ‘Double Down!’ Not only did the Starbucks worker laugh, a guy sitting a nearby table laughed and said Starbucks should make shirts with that logo on it. Are you kidding me?
            What kind of generation gets me as its voice? I have nothing to say! Every word that comes out of my mouth is either the result of blind panic or a hot burning need for acceptance. Is that who we are, as a people? How is that possible when we’re coming out of two really nasty wars? In the 50’s they got JD Salinger as their voice, and he might have secretly been kind of a creep in his real life, but at least he has a point of view. At least he meant some of the things he said. All I do is bitch and moan.
            I guess you could make the case that ‘Catcher in the Rye’ is bitching and moaning. But have you read ‘A Perfect Day for Bananafish?’ That story is amazing! And it means something!



No comments:

Post a Comment