Thursday, November 14, 2013

Nov. 14 The Paris Review Interview

INTERVIEWER
You’re often linked with Barth, Pynchon, Vonnegut, and others of that ilk. Does this seem to you inhuman bondage or is there reason in it?
BATTEN
Wow, am I? I mean, I’ve never heard that before. That’s really flattering, why would that seem like bondage?

INTERVIEWER
Who are the people with whom you have close personal links?
BATTEN
Um. My family, I guess. I’m luckY to have a few close friends. I’m strangely close to the crew at this Starbucks near my house. Um. You mean, like, literary people?

INTERVIEWER
How do you feel about literary biography? Do you think your own biography would clarify the stories and novels?
BATTEN
Sure, sure. I haven’t written any novels, though. But I’m cool with literary biography. I just read this biography of Philip Roth, actually, and…
INTERVIEWER
Was your childhood shaped in any particular way?

BATTEN
…uh, oh. Hm. Yeah, I guess like everyone, you know. You mean, like, specific things that happened? Well, when I was like 7 we moved from New York to Virginia, and that was…
INTERVIEWER
Music is one of the few areas of human activity that escapes distortion in your writing. An odd comparison: music is for you what animals were for Céline.
BATTEN
I don’t…sorry, these questions are coming fast and furious. Yipes. Um, I don’t think I’ve really written anything about music, that I can think of. Is there a story you’re thinking of?

INTERVIEWER
What did you learn from this, if anything?

BATTEN
Learn from…what? Sorry, did I miss something you said?

INTERVIEWER
You don’t, then, believe in entropy?
BATTEN
Do I believe in entropy? You mean, like, that everything eventually falls apart? Is that…sorry, I think I’m having a hard time keeping up with you here…

INTERVIEWER
Well, you’ve established yourself as an old fogey.
BATTEN
Shit, man. I don’t know about that, that’s…your questions have been really disjointed, I don’t…
INTERVIEWER
You have a story called “Captain Blood.”
BATTEN
Uh. No, no I don’t. Sorry, not sure where you got that. I know that Barthelme story, I do like that story.

INTERVIEWER
Which reminds me: Some of your detractors say that you’re merely fashionable.
BATTEN
What? I’m not sure what that means. Because I like that Barthelme story? I don’t…is Barthelme really considered fashionable right now?
INTERVIEWER
That you’re a jackdaw, and your principle of selection is whatever glitters most.
BATTEN
What? No. No, that doesn’t make…whoever said that has a weird idea about what’s hip. Whoever said that must not have seen how many Lovecraft collections I have in my house.
INTERVIEWER
What starts your stories off?
BATTEN
Usually a voice, I guess. I get a line of dialogue stuck in my head and then another one, and…
INTERVIEWER
You do your homework, in other words.
BATTEN
Yeah. Um, I’m sorry. You’re really not letting me have that much time to answer these questions.

INTERVIEWER
What about the woman’s golden buttocks?
BATTEN
            The woman…what? Is there some…I’m not …
INTERVIEWER
What about the woman’s golden buttocks?
BATTEN
     I’m sorry, I’m not sure what you’re talking about. Is this a specific woman?

INTERVIEWER
What about the woman’s golden buttocks?

BATTEN
Um. It’s good?

                                                     INTERVIEWER
Aldous Huxley argued that Ophelia could not appear on stage naked. He opposed the necessary conditions of tragedy to those of comedy, instancing the scene in Tom Jones in which Sophia Western falls off her horse, baring her comely buttocks to the admiring lookers-on.
BATTEN
Oh. Okay. Well. I’m not sure I…

INTERVIEWER
Once you’ve written a story, is there anyone to whom you show it?
BATTEN
Yes! Yes, this question I can answer. Yeah, there are a couple people. My friend…
INTERVIEWER
An example?
BATTEN
Yeah, I’m trying to tell you, I was going to say that usually the first person I send something to is my friend….
INTERVIEWER
An example?
BATTEN
Yeah, I’m trying to tell you, I usually send…

INTERVIEWER
An example?
BATTEN
Come on, dude.

INTERVIEWER
What about the woman’s golden buttocks?

                                                     BATTEN
     God damn it. Yeah, what about it?

     INTERVIEWER
Have you ever been mugged?
BATTEN
Yes, yeah. I have. Last year I was….

INTERVIEWER
Beckett’s pronouncements on art imply something curious: that artists who in the past assumed and sought to convey ultimate truths (as Dante did) were quite right, but that in our own time these truths don’t exist and therefore the artist must proceed differently. Do you share that sense?
BATTEN
I don’t…could you just slow down for a second? I’m not sure what you’re trying to do, but this is very frustrating. Are you trying to…
INTERVIEWER
Why do you live in New York?
BATTEN
I don’t. Do you…it feels like a lot of these questions are…

INTERVIEWER
What’s the attraction of the form?
BATTEN
What form? What are you talking about?

INTERVIEWER
What about the woman’s golden buttocks?

BATTEN
All right.

INTERVIEWER
What’s your greatest weakness as a writer? Is there any subject you’d like to entertain, but haven’t yet? You keep up in philosophy and psychology, do you not?
BATTEN
Ok.
INTERVIEWER
            Well?

BATTEN
I’m not…I’m done with this game. That’s like 3 questions at once, and the second I start to answer you’re just going to…

INTERVIEWER
I’ve always thought of the moon as female.

BATTEN
Yeah, that’s what I thought. Well, that’s stupid.

INTERVIEWER
Asked what aspect of his work had been sadly neglected, Albert Camus answered “humor.” What would be your answer?
BATTEN
Your mother’s golden buttocks.
INTERVIEWER

Hey, fuck you, man.

No comments:

Post a Comment