Monday, November 11, 2013

Nov 11: Make Like a Tree and Deciduous

Make Like a Tree and Deciduous:
Excerpts from the leaked Deposition in the Divorce of George and Lorraine McFly


Page 7-8


Q. Mr. McFly, at what point did you begin to suspect that your wife had been unfaithful?

A. A few years ago. Around when our son Marty turned 14.

Q. And what gave you this suspicion, Mr. McFly?

A. I began to notice around then that Marty bore a strong physical resemblance to a former friend. From when we were in school.

Q. Mr. McFly, when you say strong…

A. He looks just like him, okay? It’s uncanny.

Q. And what is the name of this former friend?

A. Ha. Actually, it’s Marty. Martin, I guess. Marty.

Q. So your son is named for…

A. We named our son after him because he was instrumental in my wife and I meeting, he sort of helped get us together.

Q. Okay. And when did you last have contact with this Marty, this former friend?

A. Not as recently as my wife.

Q. Mr. McFly, please…

A. Okay, okay. I haven’t seen that other Marty in many years. He vanished when we were in high school. 

Q. Vanished?

A. Yes, vanished. He rushed out of, there was a dance that night, at the school, and Marty rushed off. There was a terrible storm that night, and I believe...believed, at the time, that he’d possibly been killed in the storm.

Q. Do you have any proof…

A. I believed that he was dead. We all did. I mourned him, I spent weeks searching over town, hoping someone would know what happened…

Q. Mr Mcfly, how did Lorraine react when you confronted her about, about her possible infidelity?

A. She said she hadn’t seen Marty since that night, either. Since 1955.

Q. Was she upset?

A. Yes. She said, she said that she’d noticed the resemblance, too, but that…

Q. She admitted that she saw the resemblance?

A. Yes. She said she thought there was a resemblance but that she had no explanation for it, that she hadn’t seen Marty since 1955 either.

Q. Do you have any reason to believe your wife is lying to you, Mr. McFly?

A. Yes. Because there is no way that Marty is my son. He looks, he looks so much like this other. Sorry, sorry. It can’t be a coincidence. It…

Q. Mr. McFly, do you need a break?

A. Dave and Linda, our oldest, they’re mine. I see myself in them. But Marty…it was my idea, that we give him that name. Can you believe that? That…

Q. Mr McFly…

A. How they must have laughed. Laughed at gawky old George, working on his trashy books so she can, what, so she can have nice things and fuck my friends while I’m, while…

Q. Lets, lets take a break.


Pages 11-12

Q. Mr. McFly, what is your relationship with Mr. Biff Howard Tannen?

A. Biff? He works for me, I guess. Part time.

Q. In what capacity does Mr. Tannen work for you?

A. I let him wash my cars, little odd jobs around the house. Like that.
Q. Mr McFly, when did you first meet Mr. Tannen?

A. I’ve, we’ve known each other for years. Since we were kids.

Q. And how would you characterize your relationship with Mr. Tannen?

A. Now? Or…

Q. Over time. Were you and Biff friends, when you were younger?

A. No. No, not at all. He made my life hell, actually. Harassed me constantly.

Q. Mr. McFly, if Mr. Tannen caused you so much trouble as a younger man, why do you allow him to work for you now?

A. Well, I’ve done very well for myself, and Biff, well, Biff never really got it together once we graduated high school. He needed the work.

Q. During the course of your marriage, Mr. McFly, did Lorraine ever express any discomfort with Mr. Tannen being around your home? Around your family?

A. What? No, no. Not that I recall.

Q. Not that you recall?

A. That’s what I said.

Q. And how would you characterize your wife’s relationship with Mr. Tannen? In High School, I mean.

A. With Biff? He made her life hell, too. Constantly sort of bothering her, if you know what I mean.

Q. Can you be specific, Mr. McFly?

A. What are you getting at? I’m sorry…

Q. Mr. McFly, are you aware that Biff Tannen allegedly assaulted your wife, Lorraine, in 1955?

A. What? He, I mean he got handsy with her, in her car. Yes, I mean. Yes, Of course, I’m the one who came to her rescue. That’s basically how we met.

Q. Mr. McFly, let me ask you again. Did Lorraine, at any point during your employment of Mr. Tannen, ever discuss her discomfort having him around your home?

A. No, I told you. No. If she had I would have gotten rid of Biff immediately. What is this, what are you…

Q. Do you think it’s appropriate, Mr. McFly, that you hired a man who you yourself witnessed assaulting your wife in 1955 to do odd jobs around your home?

A. What are you, what is this? She, I’m not the one at fault here. Her, she had a son with Marty. She went outside our marriage, betrayed me! You’re, what, trying to…

Q. Mr. McFly, please…

A. I’m not the bad guy here, okay? Ask her, she, I hired Biff so we could watch him grovel, if you want to know the truth. So every day I could watch him working around my big house, living off money I paid him, so he’d know that I beat him, that I won. And Lorraine, she…damn it, listen to me, I…


Q. Let’s take another break, shall we?

No comments:

Post a Comment