Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Nov 5 Don't


Just promise you won’t try to change me. Don’t tell me what to wear or that I need to go on a diet. Don’t talk to your uncle about him offering me a job. Don’t drop hints about how much nicer the apartment would look if I tossed out some of the newspapers stacked around the kitchen, I need all of them for a project that I haven’t told you about yet. Don’t offer to help me come up with a budget. Don’t come between me and my dream of professional sword swallowing. I have a dream, which is more than a lot of people have in what’s left of America. Don’t lecture me about politics. Don’t think I’m going to start wearing glasses just because you think my driving is reckless. Don’t complain when I let birds peck my teeth clean. If it’s good enough for whales it’s good enough for me. Don’t correct me about what whales do. Don’t buy me an electric toothbrush.  That feels like criticism even if you say it isn’t. Don’t ask again what I’m going to do about the hornet’s nest. Those hornets have sentimental value from a previous relationship. Stop asking me all the time if I remembered to take my insulin. Trust me, if I need it I’ll know. Accept right now that we’ll never make love without you wearing zinc on your nose like a lifeguard. Don’t ask why, just accept that it’s what I need. This is me, baby. Take me as I am. And one more thing; never stop calling me on my bullshit. You know how much I count on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment