Friday, November 15, 2013

Nov 15: A Taste of Lovecraft

Whatever comes to mind when you think of Providence, Rhode Island, it probably isn’t the cuisine or the tourist attractions. Lovecraft’s, a new eatery themed around the famous Weird Tales author, is hoping to change that.

Combining Lovecraft’s trademark cosmic horror and pessimism about the human race with a family-orientated dining experience might not seem like a natural fit, but natural fits have never been owner and head chef Jorge Stephenson’s forte. Best known for the wild and unprecedented success of The Bloodwolf Diner, a Viking themed steak house in lower Manhattan, Stephenson is confident that Lovecraft’s will become much more than a local oddity. “I believe the people will be drawn to this place of power,” Stephenson says, and that “they will have no choice, they must.”

 The flamboyant restaurateur came up with the idea for his new venture while on a fishing expedition near Southern China, explaining that, “I saw something, there beneath the waves. Something older than man, something that’s age taught me the limits of mankind. I thought perhaps I could possess it, but I was wrong. Oh, how wrong I was! No man can possess…well, there’s no name for it. No name you’d know. But I knew, when I saw it, that if I couldn’t posses it I could pay tribute to it, as Lovecraft did. And that perhaps by paying tribute I could bring about its awakening.”

Stephenson certainly has a way with words, but that’s nothing compared to his skills in the kitchen. Recently a companion and I were invited to a preview meal at Lovecraft’s, which kicked off with ‘The Mussels of Erich Zann,’ a twist on Mussels Italiano incorporating hints of calamari. My companion reported that there was something eerie about it, something that made her feel weirdly doubtful, but she’s never been one for seafood and I found it delicious, flavorful without being overwhelming. For entrees, I dug into ‘The Calzone Out of Space’ and my companion went with ‘The Outsider,’ a large half-pound burger topped with bacon, chicken fingers, a fried egg, and once again a signature calamari curl.

My calzone was exquisite, the dough crisp and lightly seasoned, the fillings (pepperoni, sausage, and an unidentifiable fish-like substance) fresh and flavorful. As an extra fun little bonus, the sauce and cheese were dyed a strange color that I can’t quite describe…at first I wanted to call it purple, but the second I became comfortable calling it purple it really started to seem more orange. I asked my server about it and he began to tremble, reporting that he wasn’t allowed to answer any questions, and that I should run while there was still time. Delighted by this clever touch (while some are turned off by the novelty of the waiter-in-character, I love the atmosphere it creates) I asked the waiter another question, this one about the composition of the sausage, but he was quickly called away by the floor manager before he could respond.  And just to show you how thorough the staff at Lovecraft’s is, we never saw our original waiter again, the floor manager himself served us for the rest of the evening.

It should be said that Stephenson and his investors (a shadowy group who refuse to divulge their names, or how many they count amongst their number) have really gone to great lengths making sure that the décor in Lovecraft’s is worthy of its namesake. The dining room resembles a stuffy old research library, the walls lined with (reproductions of) dusty books with titles both Arabic and otherworldly. The menus are printed on yellowing paper and made to look like old ledgers, and the wine menu comes bound in a strange leather-like substance, which neither my companion or I could identify, but seemed to writhe at our touch. Creepy and effective! I should point out that the house wine, N’ars’etep, was not available during our visit. Stephenson assured me that the process by which they produce N’ars’etep is ‘Eldritch, and painstaking, but we should have more than enough to inoculate everyone come our grand opening.’

My companion began crying halfway through her burger, saying that each bite was like allowing an alien consciousness into her body, but I tasted it and thought it was wonderful, juicy and thick. She excused herself to the restroom and I ordered us ‘The Mountains of Madness,’ five scoops of ice cream topped with gummy worms, nuts, gummy spiders and gummy squid, to share as a desert.

The ice cream came before my companion returned, and I couldn’t help trying it. It was that same strange color as the calzone filling—imagine if static was a color, but exotic static, static from the islands—and had a taste I couldn’t quite place. Like the ocean at night, kind of, but the way the ocean at night would taste in a dream. But not a dream you’re having yourself. Anyway, I really had to tear myself away before I finished the entire thing, deciding to go search for her instead, as at this point she’s been gone a while.

You don’t often find yourself saying this as a restaurant critic, but the restrooms at Lovecraft’s might be its crowning achievement. I’m not sure words exist that would really do them justice. After calling into the ladies room and receiving no reply, I walked in and found a chamber resembling some strange alien vista, seemingly carved all from marble. Strange sculpture in the shapes of monstrous faces hung like stalactites from the ceiling, and the stalls resembled animal pens filled with discarded bones. It took me a minute to even recognize all this, however, as the restroom was also weirdly asymmetrical, seeming to lurch at odd angles. And big! I must have searched for ten or fifteen minutes before giving up and returning to my table, and I’m sure I didn’t check everywhere.

My companion never returned, must have slunk out the back or something, but quite frankly I’m not sure I want to spend that much time in the company of someone who doesn’t love Lovecraft’s anyway. Make sure you check it out soon, and I do mean soon, as suddenly I’m overcome with a kind of…immediacy? A sense that whatever must be accomplished must be accomplished soon, before time runs out. Must be I’m just hungry. Luckily, I know just where to go.

Atmosphere: Family friendly, Cyclopean
Service: Attentive, slightly nervous
Prices: The sleeper awakens and all the world shall tremble, entrees range $10-25.
Children Welcome: You shall sense the sleeper’s approach in the shivering, in the blood, in the cracked eye of the mad and infirm, full children’s menu available

Open: Daily, 12-12

No comments:

Post a Comment