Thursday, February 6, 2014

The Teenage Olympian at Dinner

Dad, let me stop you right there. I know what you’re about to say. No texting at the table, your favorite arbitrary rule. But let me show you something, dad. You see these medals around my neck? Four of ‘em, all bright shining gold. Here, listen to this. Listen to the sound it makes when I tap these things together, lean in close and listen up.

Fuck. You. Fuck. You. Fuck. You. Fuck. You.

Mom, mom you just chill out. Eat your soup, I’m talking to dad. This doesn’t concern you.

No, I will talk to her that way. I’ll talk to either of you however I want. Because these medals, they do more than mark me as a world class athlete. I am one, there’s no denying that, but these are my fuck you tickets, dad. These medals mean I went to the fucking Olympics—which barely fucking anyone gets to do—and that I fucking dominated. I won every single event I entered. And that means I do what the fuck I want, when the fuck I want. And you two, you can either get onboard with that or you can get left in my wake, much as my competitors were last summer.

Look, I don’t mean to be a dick about this. Really. You and mom, both of you have been really, really supportive. And I’m sure that, from your perspective, you’ve made sacrifices so that I could achieve this level of success. But maybe it’s time we take stock, now that we’re on the other side, and acknowledge that those sacrifices you’re so proud to have made don’t ultimately mean shit. What, you had to drive me to practice a lot? Boo-hoo. I had to swim mile after mile while you did the fucking crossword in the car. You had to shell out for travel? I haven’t had a conversation that wasn’t about swimming since I was eight years old.  

So I’m going to go ahead and send this text. You can stop eating until I’m done if you want, just hang there slackjawed and starring if that’s what you want to do. Just remember to breath through your nose. I’m doing a photo shoot for Wheaties in the morning, I can’t be up all night waiting in the ER because your ass asphyxiated.


No comments:

Post a Comment